Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Green & Crimson Mantle

Here's my current thought process. As I was going through The Colloquy of the Ancients, I realized that most of the mantles were either crimson or green. This felt significant to me somehow, so I'm attempting to find out if there is any significance to the mantles being refered to as one or the other. From something someone else mentioned, a "green mantle" might not necessarily mean that it's the color green. Was that particular mantle worn by a particular class of people, gender, or age? I'm going to pull out more clothing descriptions from other texts as I find the time and hopefully I can do a comparison or summary of them and determine what they may or may not mean.

Doing an internet search for "green mantle" or "crimson mantle" specifically only brings up various passages where they are used, not necessarily what they were.