Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Gael Agus Gall / Vikings Online

I think I found a good basis for how I'm going to mold my own garb. I found this group, Gael Agus Gall, which is a living history group that concentrates on 10th century life and crafts. More specifically, their focus is Hiberno Viking and Gaelic (tho more Viking due to available resources). Using their site (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gael/gaelweb/kit.html) [this site is also copied or was a copy and can be found at http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity/gaelic/index.htm. I'm uncertain which is the originating group I'm afraid] and the references provided, I think there is a strong basis in what a feasible kit would be for my persona. In the next few posts, I'm going to put their descriptions of the various pieces of clothing as well as pictures and addendums that they didn't post with their information. Anything below within []s are my own additions.

To start, these are the principal resources from which they pulled their descriptions...

1. Cross of the Scriptures at Clonmacnoise

[Clonmacnoise has three crosses. The Cross of the Scriptures has quite a few panels of which are listed:

West face (pictured right above) - Watching of the Tomb, the Arrest, the Betrayal and, above, the Crucifixion;

East face (pictured right middle) - King Dermot is depicted helping St Ciaran to lay the cornerpost of the church, above this are a number of unidentified figures, and above these again, the Last Judgement

South face - a Bishop and David with his Harp

North face (pictured right bottom) - another bishop, a man with Pan pipes and a falconer


Base - a hunting scene with horsemen, chariots and various animals. If I can find more detailed pictures of these crosses I'll post them at a later date and time.]

2. Cross of Muiredach at Monasterboice ( 923 AD. )
[Info in a previous post.]
3. Cross of Durrow
4. Cross of Kells
5. Book of Kells ( 8th century )
6. Shrine of St. Moedoc ( 11th century )
7. Giraldus Cambrensis ( 1183 - 1185 ) and other various texts, annals and reports for references to colour and textiles.
8. Durer's drawings in the 16th century of Irish poor men and soldiers.

Some of these I've already explored in minor detail and as things progress I'll explore more thoroughly. (Especially after I purchase the Book of Kells on CD :D) Until then, more happy research in the future.